Before the Challenge…

I posted before about taking part in the Flats and Handwashing Challenge hosted by Dirty Diaper Laundry. This is the first year I’ve done the challenge, but I’m really excited about it. As I said before, we use flats every day, so I’m hoping this won’t be too hard.

These are what I have for flats so far. I got these in a kit from Kelly’s Closet that came with 12 flats, 3 Palm Tree covers, and a snappi. I got 2 kits. So far, I love the flats. They are sold as 27x27in, but after prepping them and almost a year of use, they are now 26×23.


I still really like them, even though they are smallish and very much NOT square. We primarily use them in a pad fold inside a cover, but I’m currently experimenting with different folds such as the origami and diaper bag fold.  I’ll let you know how that goes.

About a week and a half ago Handsome and I went to Lowes and picked up the bucket for my camp washer. I’ll be using this contraption to hand wash my diapers next week. I decided to do a trial run, so I knew what I was getting into before it was too late to back out!

Here it is, complete with a brand new plunger. Handsome drilled all the holes for me, including several in the plunger to make it easier to use.


For my first run through, I grabbed the first flats I found off the top of my wet bag. Ended up being 2 covers, 3 flats, and a thick fleecy doubler I used overnight. I should mention there were no poopy diapers in my trial run.


Filling up for my first rinse. I used cold, just like I do in the washer. I may use warm next time. (Dontcha love my bathtub hippo?)


Plunging… first rinse was about 5 minutes.


Added detergent and HOT water. I used about 1/2 tsp of Charlie’s Soap, but I need to adjust the amount. I believe I did a washing run for 5-10 minutes… I need to set a timer next time.


I did a hot rinse and 2 cold rinses after that, but I think I either didn’t rinse long enough or change the water often enough. The flats came out feeling REALLY scratchy. Even after shaking/beating them up once they were dry.

Here’s my new clothes line set up on the back deck. I love it! It’s just right for drying diapers.

I read after this that it helps to roll covers in a towel to get excess water out… I didn’t. So these took a long time to dry.

And to finish off my post, here’s a pic of my little Bug! She just turned 1, she is 23lbs and 29in. I’ll let you know how the new and different folds fit her and how the challenge goes. Tomorrow I’m making sure all my diapers are clean and ready to go!



One thought on “Before the Challenge…

  1. Pingback: Flats Day Two – The Stash | this new house

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s